- Yields: 36 cookies
- Preparation: 30 minutes
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cup (550mL) all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp (3mL) baking soda
- 1 tbsp (15mL) ginger
- 2 tsp (10mL) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5mL) cloves
- ⅔ cup (150mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup (50mL) molasses
Royal Icing to Decorate:
- 1 egg white
- ¼ tsp (1mL) cream of tartar
- 1 ½ cups (375mL) icing sugar, sifted
- colourful candies, optional
- sprinkles, optional
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, brown sugar, egg and molasses until smooth. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended, then knead to form a smooth dough. Wrap and chill dough 1 hour for easy rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C) just before baking.
- Working with a portion of dough at a time, roll out on a floured surface to 1/4 – inch (5 mm) thickness. Using cookie cutters dipped in flour, cut out cookies. Place about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 18 minutes or until set. Cool 5 minutes on sheet then transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg white and cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until stiff shiny peaks form. Using a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe icing onto cookies.
- Decorate as desired. Let stand until icing dries, about 1 hour.
- Use any cookie cutters you like. Larger cookies will take longer to bake.
- A mix for royal icing is available in Bakery Supply and Bulk Food stores.