- Yields: 12
- Preparation: 25 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Homogenized Milk
- 24 portions GAY LEA - Hewitt’s Goat Cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 tbsp (30mL) granulated sugar
- 24 slices challah egg bread
- 1 cup (250mL) maple syrup
- 1 tsp (5mL) icing sugar
Sour Cherry Filling:
- 1 lb (500g) frozen pitted tart red cherries
- 1/4 cup (60mL) water
- 3/4 cup (175mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (30mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and sugar; set aside.
- Divide cherry filling equally between six slices of bread. Top each with 2 portions of goat cheese medallions and a slice of bread. Assembled sandwiches can be held and made to order.
- Dip one sandwich in egg mixture to coat. Fry sandwich on both sides on greased flat top or in a greased pan until cooked and golden, about 5 minutes per side. Serve dusted with icing sugar and drizzled with maple syrup, if desired.
- Place cherries and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook until cherries are thawed and release their juice. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring often.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Pour mixture into hot cherries and stir to combine; lower heat to a simmer. Add vanilla and cook, stirring until filling is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool. Prepare filling one day ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate.