- Yields: 8
- Preparation: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup (50mL) GAY LEA - Regular Sour Cream
- 2 tbsp (30mL) light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30mL) Hewitt's - milk
- 1 tbsp (15mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp (15mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, large and minced
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) pepper
- 1 1/2 lb (750mL) spinach, fresh leaves, trimmed
- 2 cups (500mL) mushrooms, (about 6 large), sliced
- 1/2 lb (500g) bacon, cooked and crumbled (about 9 slices)
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup (250mL) croutons, large
- Whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise and milk until thoroughly blended. Lightly stir in vinegar, mustard, garlic, Worcestershire, sugar, salt and pepper. Dressing can be covered and refrigerated for up to 12 hours.
- Rinse spinach leaves; dry in salad spinner or with paper towels. Tear spinach into bite-sized pieces; place in large salad bowl. Sprinkle with mushrooms and bacon pieces. Peel and thinly slice eggs. Sprinkle over salad along with croutons.
- Dollop half of dressing over salad. Toss gently, adding remaining dressing halfway through. Serve at room temperature.
- For extra flavour, try making your own Parmesan herbed croutons. In bowl, mix together 2 tbsp (25 mL) extra virgin olive oil, 1 minced garlic clove, ½ tsp (2 mL) each dried basil, thyme and oregano, and ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper. Stir in about 3 cups (750 mL) bread cubes. Spread on a jelly roll pan and bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 12 minutes. Remove pan from oven. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp (25 mL) freshly grated Black River Parmesan. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes longer or until golden brown.
- Enjoy this spinach salad as a meal by adding chicken, beef, salmon or the protein of your choice.