- Preparation: 60 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups (325mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) chai spice blend, (purchased or see below)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (125mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- granulated sugar and icing sugar for rolling
- Melt chocolate chips in a bowl set over simmering water; cool slightly. Beat butter with sugar and Chai spices until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well combined. Beat in melted chocolate.
- Sift flour with cocoa, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Mix into butter mixture, on low speed until combined. Chill dough for 15 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Arrange granulated and icing sugar in shallow bowls. Roll level tablespoons of dough into balls. Roll in granulated sugar, followed by icing sugar. Place, at least 2-inches (5 cm) apart, on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake, in batches, for 10 to 12 minutes until just set. (Do not overbake.)
- Chai Spice Blend: 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cinnamon, 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground cardamom and ginger, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground allspice and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) white pepper (optional). Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Rolling the dough balls in granulated sugar first, helps to keep the icing sugar from melting into the cookies as they bake and results in a better crackle effect.