- Yields: 8
- Preparation: 45 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Real Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 tbsp (15mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, small and chopped
- 2 tbsp (30mL) ginger, fresh and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp (5mL) turmeric
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5mL) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) paprika, smoked
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable broth
- 3 cups (750mL) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (400mL) coconut milk
- 1 red finger chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup (60mL) cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp (10mL) lime zest
- Heat oil in large saucepan set over medium-high heat; cook onion, ginger, garlic, turmeric, salt, pepper and smoked paprika for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly tender and fragrant. Add broth, sweet potato, coconut milk and chili pepper. Bring to boil and reduce heat.
- Simmer, partially covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are very tender. Using immersion blender, purée soup until very smooth.
- Ladle into serving bowls. Top with dollop of whipped cream and swirl to incorporate slightly. Sprinkle with cilantro and lime zest.
- Add a dollop of natural cashew or peanut butter before puréeing the soup for added protein.