- Yields: 4 as an entree, 8 as a starter
- Preparation: 60 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) SALERNO - Light Ricotta Cheese
- 2 tbsp (30mL) basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30mL) fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15mL) lemon zest, finely grated
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) salt and freshly ground pepper, divided
- 12 beets (about 3 lb/1.5 kg)
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 2 tbsp (30mL) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30mL) maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp (15mL) olive oil
- 8 cups (1.2Kg) spinach or kale
- 1/2 cup (125mL) pumpkin seeds
- Blend Ricotta cheese with parsley, basil, lemon zest and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 8 portions and form into rounded cake. Reserve in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Peel beets and cut into uniform wedges. Toss beets with melted butter, 1 tbsp (15 mL) each lemon juice and maple syrup, thyme and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Arrange in a foil-lined baking pan. Roast, shaking pan occasionally, for 45 minutes or until tender and golden. Cool slightly.
- Whisk remaining lemon juice, maple syrup, salt and pepper; whisk in oil. Add spinach or kale and toss to coat. Divide greens between serving plates, top with beets and Ricotta cakes. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
- To use up leftover Ricotta mixture, make a simple creamy bruschetta. Toast crusty bread and rub with fresh garlic cloves. Spread the cheese mixture over the bread and garnish with chopped tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper.
- To toast pumpkin seeds, place on a baking sheet under the beets and roast for 3 to 5 minutes.