- Yields: 2 sandwiches
- Preparation: 24 minutes
- 8 slices whole wheat or Italian bread, 1.4" (5 mm) thick
- 1/3 cup (75mL) prepared pasta sauce
- 8 slices IVANHOE - Mozzarella, (about 7 oz)
- 20 slices small pepperoni slices, about 2 oz
- 1 tbsp (15mL) SALERNO - Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup (50mL) GAY LEA - Butter Sticks – Salted
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- Place 4 slices of bread on work surface. Spread pasta sauce evenly over each slice. Top each with 1 slice of cheese, ¼ of pasta sauce, ¼ of pepperoni (if using), remaining cheese slice and Parmesan. Top with remaining bread slices. Spread half of butter over top of bread.
- Place sandwiches, buttered side down, two at a time, in non-stick skillet on medium heat. Spread half of remaining butter over top of bread. Cook for about 5 minutes or until underside is golden and cheese has started to melt. Flip sandwiches over; cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer or until underside is golden and cheese is melted.
- Repeat with remaining sandwiches and butter.
- Excellent source of folate and calcium.