- Yields: 6 to 8
- Preparation: 98 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- In 4 cup (1 L) baking dish, melt 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter; add garlic and toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until garlic is tender and golden brown; stirring halfway. Toss 12 cloves with honey; set aside for garnish.
- In large pot on medium heat, melt remaining butter. Add onion; reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add potatoes, thyme, bay leaf and remaining roasted cloves; sauté 3 minutes on medium heat. Stir in broth and 1 cup (250 mL) cream. Bring to boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes, to cool. Remove thyme and bay leaf.
- In blender, in batches, purée until smooth; return to pot. Stir in remaining cream and simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with reserved honeyroasted garlic.
- Don’t let the 40 cloves of garlic scare you off. The garlic becomes mellow and sweet as it roasts.