- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation: 100 minutes
- 1 roasting chicken
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) pepper
- 20 sprigs thyme
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup (50mL) GAY LEA - Spreadables Regular
- 2 tbsp (30mL) liquid honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Rinse chicken inside and out; pat dry. Place chicken on rack in shallow, foil-lined roasting pan. Season chicken, inside and out, with salt and pepper. Chop enough thyme leaves to measure 1 tbsp (15 mL); set aside. Grate enough lemon rind to measure 1 tsp (5 mL); quarter the remaining lemon and set aside.
- Blend butter with the chopped thyme, lemon rind, honey and garlic. Carefully lift the skin covering breasts and thighs and rub one third of the butter mixture underneath. Rub additional butter all over chicken. Place remaining thyme sprigs and lemon quarters inside chicken. Truss legs together with kitchen twine.
- Roast basting occasionally with remaining butter mixture and pan juices for 70 to 80 minutes or until thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 185°F (85°C). Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Rotate the pan halfway through for even cooking and tent with foil if chicken gets too dark.