- Yields: about 3 1/2 dozen cookies
- Preparation: 60 minutes plus chilling minutes
- 1/2 cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (175mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50mL) GAY LEA - Regular Sour Cream, or Gay Lea Gold Sour Cream
- 1 tsp (5mL) lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground ginger
- 2 tsp (10mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125mL) almond flour
- sliced almonds and turbinado sugar
- Beat butter with sugar, sour cream, lemon zest, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt until fluffy. Stir flour with almond flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Mix into butter mixture, on low speed, until it forms a stiff dough. Divide dough into two discs and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Roll out discs, about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Use a snowflake or another shaped cookie cutter to cut into cookies. (Re-roll scraps.) Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Gently press a few almond slices decoratively into each cookie and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake, in batches, for 12 minutes or until lightly browned around edges. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.