- Yields: 2 wreaths or about 3 dozen cookies
- Preparation: 60 minutes plus chilling minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup (250mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) HEWITT'S - milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10mL) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (750mL) all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- icing sugar
- assorted 1 to 3-inch (0.5 to 7.5cm) festive cookie cutters
- 1 cup (250mL) icing sugar
- 2 tbsp (30mL) white corn syrup
- 2 tbsp (30mL) HEWITT'S - milk
- white edible glitter, coloured sugars, sprinkles and/or dragees
- Beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat egg with milk and vanilla in a small bowl; beat into sugar mixture. Sift flour with baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Divide dough into two discs and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line two pizza pans with a round of parchment paper.
- Dust work surface and rolling pin lightly with icing sugar. Roll out 1 portion of dough to 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Cut into shapes using cutters. Using outer edge of pizza pans as a guide, arrange cookies into two wreaths, overlapping slightly. Bake, in batches, for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden around edges and set. Cool completely on pan.
- Blend icing sugar with corn syrup and milk until smooth and pourable. Drizzle over wreaths and decorate as desired. Let stand 1 hour or until glaze is completely set. Carefully transfer wreath to a decorative platter.
- If you don't have a pizza pan, use a large baking sheet and trace a 12-inch (30 cm) circle on the underside of the parchment, arrange the cookies just inside the ring.
- Use the cookie wreath as a table centerpiece and place an unscented, flameless candle or small bowl of Christmas balls in the centre.
- These cookies can be baked individually and simple drizzled with glaze and decorations. Bake on parchment paper lined baking sheets for 10 minutes or until just golden on the bottom.
- The wreaths and/or cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.