- Yields: 8 servings
- Preparation: 80 minutes plus 2 hours of chilling minutes
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Toss cracker crumbs with butter until well combined. Press into a 6 to 7-inch (15 to 18 cm) springform pan. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Beat Smooth cottage cheese with condensed milk until well combined. Beat eggs, egg yolk and vanilla in a separate bowl. Add to cheese mixture and beat on low speed, just until combined. Pour into crust.
- Bake cheesecake in the lower third of the oven for 35 minutes. Turn the oven off and allow the cheesecake to stand in the cooling oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove to a rack. Run a thin knife around the edge. Cool to room temperature. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to 4 days. Garnish with fresh berries, preserves or pie filling as desired.
- For a cheesecake to feed a larger crowd, double all ingredients and prepare in a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan. Increase baking time to 50 minutes. Cool in oven for 40 minutes.
- Dulce de Leche Cheesecake: Replace the regular condensed milk with Dulce de Leche flavoured condensed milk. Drizzle with chocolate and caramel sauces to garnish.
- For a Chocolate Cheesecake: Use chocolate wafer crumbs in the crust. Melt 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk or semisweet chocolate chips. Allow to cool slightly before adding to cheese mixture before adding the eggs.
- For citrus flavoured cheesecake, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of finely grated lemon or orange zest to the cheese mixture.
- For a Mocha flavoured cheesecake, add 1 tbsp espresso powder to the cheese mixture.
- For a glass topped cheesecake, spread 1/2 cup (125 mL) melted seedless strawberry or raspberry jam over the top before chilling.
- Nutrition Per Serving (1/8th wedge): 230 calories, 10 g fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 254g carbohydrates, 0 g fibre, 16 g sugars, 11 g protein.
- Brand Name Frozen New York Cheesecake (1 wedge*): 350 calories, 22 g fat, 105 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium 33 g carbohydrates, 0 g fibre, 21 g sugars, 6 g protein. *equivalent weight to recipe serving.