- Yields: 16
- Preparation: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 6 tbsp (90mL) STIRLING - Churn84 Organic Salted
- 2 beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups (300mL) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75mL) cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup (75mL) salt
- 8 oz (250g) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup (250mL) brown sugar, packed
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250mL) stout beer, such as Guinness
Goat Cheese Swirl
- 4 oz (125mL) IVANHOE - Aged Goat Cheese
- 4 oz (125mL) cream cheese, plain brick-style and softened
- 1/4 cup (60mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- Place beets in saucepan; pour in enough cold water to cover. Bring to boil; cook for about 30 minutes or until very tender. Drain well. Transfer to food processor; pulse until smooth. Let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°F). Grease 9-inch (2 L) square baking pan and line bottom with strip of parchment paper long enough to overhang two sides. Set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder and salt; set aside. In heatproof bowl set over saucepan of simmering water, melt chocolate and butter (do not allow bottom of bowl to touch simmering water), stirring often. Remove from saucepan.
- Whisk sugar into chocolate mixture until combined. Whisk in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Gently stir in beet purée. Stir in half of the reserved flour mixture, then stout, then remaining flour mixture just until no streaks remain. Reserve 1/4 cup (60 mL) batter and set aside. Scrape remaining batter into prepared pan.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese with goat cheese until smooth. Beat in sugar, egg and vanilla. Pour over batter in pan. Dollop reserved batter over top. Using thin knife, create decorative swirls.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until set in center and starting to pull away from edges. Let cool completely in pan. Run knife around edges to release from pan and lift onto cutting board using parchment paper overhang. Cut into squares.
- Brownies can be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container between layers of waxed paper, for up to 3 days.