- Yields: 32 bars
- Preparation: 315 minutes
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 cup (125mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 6 egg yolk
- 2 cups (500mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 1/3 cup (75mL) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup (375mL) apple cider
- 2 tsp (10mL) orange zest, finely grated
- 2 tsp (10mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp (10mL) icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine the flour, butter, sugar and salt in a food processor; pulse until crumbly. Firmly press the dough into a 9 x 13-inch (3 L) baking pan lined with foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until pale golden around the edges.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and flour until a very thick paste forms. Whisk in the apple cider, orange zest, cinnamon, baking powder and nutmeg until smooth.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F (150°C). Pour the egg mixture over the hot crust. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until just set. Cool to room temperature. Chill for at least 4 hours or until firm. Dust the top with the icing sugar and slice into bars.
- Make-ahead: Transfer the bars to an airtight container and store, in the refrigerator, for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Ingredient Source: If apple cider isn’t available at the supermarket, use any cold pressed apple juice available. Or, try purchasing a cup of fresh cider from a local coffee house.