- Yields: Makes about 16 mini trifles, with extra cookies left over.
- Preparation: 107 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Butter Sticks – Unsalted, softened
- 1/2 cup (125mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 2 tbsp (30mL) dark rum
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5mL) lime curd
- Beat butter, sugar and rum until creamy and smooth. Stir flour with cornstarch and salt; beat into butter mixture on low speed until just combined. Divide dough into 2 portions; roll each into a log, about 1 ½" (4 cm) thick. Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C) and position the racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven. Slice the logs to ?" (3 mm) thick. Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake in batches and rotating sheets for 12 minutes or until pale golden on the bottom. Cool completely on a rack.
- Whisk sugar, water, cornstarch, lime juice and salt in a medium saucepan on medium heat. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and is very thick. Remove from the heat. Whisk in the egg yolk; return to heat and cook, stirring constantly for 30 to 60 seconds or until streak-free. Remove from heat; stir in butter until combined. Cover surface directly with plastic wrap and cool to room temperature. Stir in lime zest; cool completely.
- To assemble desserts, layer cookies into 4 oz (125 mL) canning jars or ramekins. Top each with 2 tsp (10 mL) curd and a layer of whipped cream. Sprinkle with mint. Repeat layers swirling the whipped cream to finish. Garnish each trifle with additional chopped fresh mint and a cookie.