- Yields: 4 dozen cookies
- Preparation: 60 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) unsalted pistachios, toasted
- 3/4 cup (175mL) sugar, divided
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10mL) vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125mL) raspberry jam
- Pulse pistachios in a food processor until finely chopped but not ground. Measure out 3/4 cup (175 mL) and set aside. Add 2 tbsp (30 mL) granulated sugar to remaining nuts and continue to pulse until finely ground.
- Beat butter with remaining sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla extract until well combined. Add flour, ground pistachio-sugar mixture and salt. Beat on low until well mixed. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Beat egg white with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water. Roll 2 tsp (10 mL) portions of dough into 3/4 inch (2 cm) ball; dip balls in egg white followed by chopped pistachios to lightly coat.
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Use fingertips or a wooden spoon handle to press an indentation into each ball. Fill each cookie with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) preserves. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Toast pistachios on a rimmed baking sheet in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 8 minutes. Cool completely before using in recipe.
- If cookies crack a little when making indent, use fingers to pinch dough together before filling with preserves.
- Store cookies, layered between parchment paper in an airtight container, for up to 3 days or freeze for 1 month.