- Preparation: 60 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30mL) icing sugar
- 2/3 cup (150mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, well chilled
- 1/4 cup (50mL) GAY LEA - Gold Premium Sour Cream, or regular sour cream
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1/2 cup (125mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup (50mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, softened
- 1 tsp (5mL) ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (175mL) apple pie filling
- Pulse flour with icing sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add butter, sour cream and egg yolk and pulse just until dough comes together in a ball. Form into a disk and chill for 30 minutes or up to 1 day. (Soften dough at room temperature for 20 minutes if too cold to roll).
- Use a pastry blender or fork to blend flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon until crumbly; set aside. Pulse apple pie filling in a food processor or mini chop until finely chopped but not puréed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry out about 1/4-inch (1 mm) thick. Use a cookie cutter to cut into 2-inch (5 cm) rounds and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. (Re-roll scraps once.)
- Place 1/2 tsp (2 mL) apple pie filling in centre of each round. Top with 1 tsp (5 mL) crumb topping, pressing gently to adhere to filling. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Cool completely on the baking sheet.
- For a pretty glaze, blend 1/2 cup icing sugar with 1 tbsp (15 mL) each milk and light corn syrup. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Let stand until set.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. (The crumble topping will soften slightly as it sits at room temperature but will still be delicious.)
- To use up the leftover pie filling, make Apple Pie Taquitos. Roll up leftover filling in small flour tortillas; place on a baking sheet. Brush with melted Gay Lea butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 15 minutes or until crisp.