- Yields: 18 cookies
- Preparation: 40 minutes (+3 hours chilling time)
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125mL) granulated sugar
- 1 2/3 cups (400mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125mL) cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp (5mL) instant espresso powder
- 6 oz (175mL) bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 tsp (5mL) sea salt, flaked
- Using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk together flour, cocoa, espresso powder and salt; with mixer on low speed, beat into butter mixture butter just until combined. Form into flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; shape into 6-inch (15 cm) log. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until firm (or freeze for up to 2 months, then thaw in refrigerator before baking).
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC). Cut log into 18 slices, about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake, in batches, in centre of oven for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden. Let cool in pans on racks for 5 minutes. Transfer directly to racks; let cool completely.
- Dip half of each cookie into melted chocolate, shaking off excess. Return to racks. Sprinkle with sea salt; let stand until set.
- Use a small pastry wheel to cut dough into rectangles with scalloped edges if desired.