- Preparation: 5 minutes
- GAY LEA - Salted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup (75mL) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (300mL) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75mL) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 1 cup (250mL) chocolate chips
- 1 cup (250mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup (250mL) pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Beat butter with brown and granulated sugars until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir flour with baking soda, cocoa and salt in a separate bowl. Add to butter mixture; mix on low just until combined.
- Using lightly butter hands, spread dough evenly in a parchment paper-lined 9 x 13-inch (3 L) baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until slightly puffed but still soft to the touch. Remove pan and set oven to broil, placing oven rack in the highest position.
- Meanwhile, stir coconut, pecans, brown sugar, butter and whipping cream. Spread topping evenly over warm base. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until browned and bubbling. Cool completely before slicing.
- Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Replace pecans with chopped walnuts.