- Yields: 24
- Preparation: 1 hour 15 minutes
Brandy Snap Cannoli:
- ½ cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Bakers Gold, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (150mL) demerara sugar
- ½ cup (125mL) corn syrup, golden
- 1 cup (250mL) all purpose flour, sifted
- ½ tsp (2mL) ginger, ground
- 1 tsp (5mL) Juice, lemon
- 1 ½ cups (375mL) SALERNO - Traditional Ricotta
- 1 ½ cups (375mL) mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup (125mL) icing sugar
- 4 tsp (20mL) zest, orange
- 2 tsp (10mL) vanilla, extract
- ½ cup (125mL) chocolate chips, mini
- ½ cup (125mL) pistachios, chopped
- Brandy Snap Cannoli: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In small saucepan set over medium-low heat, combine butter, sugar and corn syrup; cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until butter melts and sugar dissolves (do not boil). Let stand for 2 minutes; sift flour and ginger over top. Stir in lemon juice.
- Working in 6 small batches, drop heaping tablespoonfuls of batter onto parchment paper–lined baking sheets, about 4 inches (10 cm) apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until batter spreads into lacy tuiles and cookies are dark golden brown.
- Remove from oven; let cool for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly firm but still pliable. Wrap each cookie around handle of whisk, wooden spoon or cannoli tube, shaping gently into tubes using hands. Let stand for 30 seconds. Transfer cookie tubes directly to rack; let cool completely.
- Ricotta Filling: Using electric mixer, beat together ricotta, mascarpone, icing sugar, orange zest and vanilla until light and fluffy. Spoon into pastry bag fitted with star tip.
- Pipe ricotta mixture into each end of brandy snap cannoli shell to fill. Press chocolate chips and pistachios into ends of cannoli.
- Substitute chopped hazelnuts for pistachios.
- Substitute 1 tbsp (15 mL) Marsala or brandy for vanilla extract in the cannoli filling.