- Yields: 30 cookies
- Preparation: 30 minutes
- ¾ cup (175mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups (550mL) all purpose flour
- ½ tsp (2mL) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- 1 ½ tsp (7mL) cinnamon
- 1 ¼ tsp (6mL) ginger
- ½ tsp (2mL) nutmeg
- ¼ tsp (1mL) cloves
- ¾ cup (175mL) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp (10mL) vanilla
Royal Icing to Decorate:
- 1 egg white
- ¼ tsp (1mL) cream of tartar
- 1 ½ cups (375mL) icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 ° F (180° C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. On low speed, gradually add flour mixture, beating until blended, then knead to form a smooth dough.
- Working with a portion of dough at a time, roll out on a floured surface to ¼ -inch (5 mm) thickness. Using snowflake cookie cutters dipped in flour, cut out cookies. Place about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until just golden around the edges. Cool 5 minutes on sheet then transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat egg white and cream of tartar until frothy. Gradually add icing sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Using a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe icing onto cookies. Let stand until icing dries, about 1 hour.
- Use your favourite cookie cutters. Any shape works.
- Dust with icing sugar for a snowy effect.