- Yields: 12 to 14 large buns
- Preparation: 195 minutes
- 3/4 cup (175mL) water, warm
- 2 tbsp (30mL) instant yeast, dry
- 1/2 cup (125mL) sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) HEWITT'S - Buttermilk, or milk, warm
- 1 1/2 tsp (7mL) vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp (10mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp (7mL) salt
- 6-8 cups (1.5 - 2L) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, cut into small chunks
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup (175mL) dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7mL) cinnamon
- 1 cup (250mL) raisins
- 3/4 cup (175mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/4 cups (325mL) light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75mL) corn syrup
- Coat large square pan, about 12” x 12” (30 cm x 30 cm) (or two 10” (25 cm) spring form or layer cake pans) with non-stick cooking spray. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, hand whisk water and yeast and let stand for 1 minute. Add one cup of flour and stir. Then add buttermilk, eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, sugar and salt.
- Stir in about 3 cups of all purpose flour and butter. Using dough hook, with mixer on lowest speed, add remaining flour as needed to form workable dough. Knead on slowest speed of mixer until dough is smooth and elastic, adding additional flour as required, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Form dough into ball inside bowl. Place bowl inside large plastic bag, seal lightly, and let rise for 40 to 60 minutes or until almost doubled in bulk. Gently deflate. Allow dough to rest for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a lightly floured board. Meanwhile, make filling and glaze.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Make a paste with ingredients and set aside.
- On lightly floured board, roll dough out to a 14” x 14” rectangle. Sprinkle liberally with filling, pressing in slightly. Roll up into a log and chill ten minutes to facilitate slicing.
- Cut log into 1” slices. Spread glaze equally on the pans. Arrange half of dough slices on each pan. Insert pans into a large plastic bag. Allow buns to rise until they are puffy or almost doubled in size, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Spray tops lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Place pans on baking sheet and bake until browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool a few minutes then invert onto a large tray or parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- You can chill the unbaked buns overnight and bake them the next morning for a special breakfast or summer brunch.
- A bread machine is perfect to make the dough.
- Vary and personalize this sticky buns recipe to suit all tastes by simply substituting different ingredients for the raisins. Dried cranberries or apricots, chopped and toasted walnuts or pecans, or even rich, dark chocolate chunks can all make for equally delicious fillings.