Jul 21, 2016
By Shannon Crocker RD www.shannoncrocker.ca @shancrockerRD
The first order of business for a healthy lifestyle is often eliminating dessert.
I often hear people say “no” to the finishing taste because they are trying to eat better. The truth is, you can eat dessert and be healthy – eating isn’t all or nothing. The key is to eat nutrient-rich, whole foods most of the time, like vegetables, fruit, whole grains, nuts, dairy, pulses and lean meats, and enjoy decadent foods, like desserts, now and then. The dessert department doesn’t have to close, it just might have to change a bit.
When I feel like a sweet treat a little more often, then I make sure to keep portions small (dessert was never meant to be a size-of-your-head piece of cheesecake) and look for ways to make them a little bit healthier.
Real talk: You won’t find the words “guilt-free” here anywhere. Eating should never come with a side of guilt. Enjoy!
Here are some of my favourite simple summer finishers:
1. Waffles n’ Berries. On a small toasted whole grain waffle, pile on fresh summer strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. Top with a dollop of Nordica Smooth Vanilla Bean.
2. Peaches ‘n Cream Fruit Platter. On a platter, layer sliced ripe peaches and nectarines. Scatter on raspberries and blackberries. Drizzle with honey and the juice of a lime. Sprinkle with a little fleur de sel. Serve with a spoonful of Sour Cream Honey Dip.
3. Caramel Banana Parfait. In an ice cream parfait cup or small glass jar, layer sliced bananas, Nordica Smooth Salted Caramel and broken graham crackers. Top with a sprinkle of crushed salted, roasted peanuts.
4. Individual Lemon Blueberry Trifles. In small glass jars, layer sponge cake, Nordica Smooth Lemon and fresh summer blueberries. Top with a squirt of Real Whip Cream.
5. Salted Caramel and Chocolate Parfait. Crave chocolate and caramel? This tiny parfait is the perfect portion size if you love a sweet treat after dinner.
6. Sparkly Berry Parfait. Place fresh strawberries, raspberries and blackberries in parfait cups, top with a splash of Prosecco and a touch of fresh Real Whipped Cream. Perfect dessert for any patio party!
Happy, Healthy Summer!
Oct 5, 2021
By Stacey Stein - What comes to mind when you think of Thanksgiving? While many of us associate it with a sumptuous turkey dinner shared with family or friends, the holiday is meant to celebrate the fall harvest. And what better way to give thanks for autumn’s bounty than by showcasing local
May 31, 2021
By Stacey Stein - Summer in Canada is associated with time-honoured traditions like camping in the great outdoors, relaxing lakeside at a cottage, and enjoying backyard barbecues, reveling in the warm weather and longer days. - With Father’s Day and Canada Day around the corner, many of
Apr 22, 2021
By Stacey Stein - Most mothers have been putting in loads of overtime this past year, earning a well-deserved bonus. Which is why those closest to Mom might want to consider kicking things up a notch this Mother’s Day. While a spa day may have to wait until next year, a thoughtfully planned M
Mar 18, 2021
By Stacey Stein - With international travel on hold and festivities limited to our families, this Easter is the perfect time to try something new by thinking global when planning our holiday meal. - “This year our celebrations look different – we’re not having big family gatherings,