- Yields: 12
- Preparation: 45 minutes (+ 4 hours chilling time)
Roasted Strawberry Sauce
- 4 lb (2Kg) strawberries, hulled
- 1/4 cup (60mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60mL) honey
- 1/4 cup (60mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 6 cups (1.5L) HEWITT'S - Buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) GAY LEA - Butter Prints - Unsalted, melted
- 6 cups (1.5L) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60mL) cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (30mL) baking powder
- 1 tbsp (15mL) baking soda
- 2 tsp (10mL) salt
- 6 eggs, beaten
- Toss together strawberries, sugar, honey, balsamic vinegar and salt. Roast in 425°F (220°C) oven, stirring occasionally, for about 25 minutes or until softened and syrupy. Let cool completely. Transfer to container; refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours or up to 2 days.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter and eggs; stir into flour mixture just until combined. (Batter can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- Beat goat cheese with 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream until smooth. Add remaining cream, icing sugar and vanilla. Beat on high speed until it holds stiff peaks. (Cream can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.)
- Pour 1 cup (250 mL) batter into hot waffle iron. Cook for about 5 minutes or until waffle is golden and crisp. Top with 3 tbsp (45 mL) strawberry sauce and 1/4 cup (60 mL) whipped cream.
- Add a subtle herbaceous note to the strawberry mixture by adding a bunch of fresh basil to the pan during roasting, then discarding before chilling.