- Yields: 4 as an entree, 8 as a starter
- Preparation: 60 minutes
- Blend Ricotta cheese with parsley, basil, lemon zest and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Divide mixture into 8 portions and form into rounded cake. Reserve in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Peel beets and cut into uniform wedges. Toss beets with melted butter, 1 tbsp (15 mL) each lemon juice and maple syrup, thyme and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper. Arrange in a foil-lined baking pan. Roast, shaking pan occasionally, for 45 minutes or until tender and golden. Cool slightly.
- Whisk remaining lemon juice, maple syrup, salt and pepper; whisk in oil. Add kale and toss to coat. Divide greens between serving plates, top with beets and Ricotta cakes. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
- To use up leftover Ricotta mixture, make a simple creamy bruschetta. Toast crusty bread and rub with fresh garlic cloves. Spread the cheese mixture over the bread and garnish with chopped tomatoes seasoned with salt and pepper.
- To toast pumpkin seeds, place on a baking sheet under the beets and roast for 3 to 5 minutes.