- Yields: 4
- Preparation: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Organic Sea Salted
- 2 cups (500mL) HEWITT'S - 3.8% Whole Goat Milk
- 3 cups (750mL) BLACK RIVER - Pepperjack Cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tbsp (45mL) all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30mL) Dijon mustard, grainy
- 1 tsp (5mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) pepper
- 1/3 tsp (75mL) craft beer
- 1 lb (500g) meat, smoked and shaved (such as Montreal-style or pastrami)
- Preheat broiler to high and position rack in top third of oven. Lay bread on parchment paper–lined baking sheet; toast for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in saucepan set over medium heat; add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Whisk in milk, a splash at a time, until smooth. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes or until mixture is bubbling and thickened. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) cheese, a handful at a time, waiting until cheese is melted before adding the next addition. Stir in beer. Simmer for 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Place half of the bread on baking sheet; top with smoked meat and 1 cup (250 mL) of the remaining cheese. Cap with remaining bread and top with cheese sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Broil for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
- Also delicious with dark rye bread and deli shaved smoked turkey.