- Yields: 8
- Preparation: 40 minutes
- 8 eggs, hard-boiled
- 1 large round pumpernickel or whole grain loaf
- 1 cup (250mL) Nordica 2%
- 4 tsp (20mL) fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) lemon rind, finely grated
- 8 boston lettuce leaves, large
- 1/2 cup (125mL) red onion, thinly sliced
- 6 oz (175g) smoked salmon, thinly sliced
- Peel and coarsely chop eggs; set aside. Slice a round cap off top of loaf; reserve. Hollow out inside of loaf to make bread bowl. In separate bowl, mix cottage cheese, dill, pepper and lemon rind well.
- Spread half of cottage cheese mixture in even layer on bottom of bread bowl. Layer with half of lettuce, chopped eggs, red onion and smoked salmon. Repeat layers. Replace reserved bread cap.
- Wrap sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours. (If sandwich fillings settle, fill in gap with extra lettuce leaves). Cut into 8 wedges and secure with sandwich picks.
- For perfect hard-boiled eggs, place in medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to boil. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered for 15 minutes. Drain and rinse eggs under cold running water until cool.