- Yields: 6
- Preparation: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 lb (750g) russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 bacon, strips, chopped and divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) GAY LEA - Original Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup (125mL) sodium reduced chicken broth
- 2 cups (500mL) HEWITT'S - milk
- 1/2 cup (125mL) green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125mL) IVANHOE - Old Cheddar, shredded
- Place potatoes in medium saucepan and cover with cold water; season with salt to taste. Bring water to boil and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender; drain well. Mash potatoes until smooth and fluffy. Beat in sour cream with an electric hand mixer.
- Meanwhile, set medium skillet on medium heat. Add half of bacon, onion, celery, salt, pepper and thyme. Cook for 10 minutes or until browned and very soft.
- Purée bacon mixture with broth using a blender or food processor. Transfer potato mixture to clean saucepan, whisk in milk, and then set on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cook remaining bacon until very crisp. Garnish each bowl with green onion, cheese, remaining bacon and small dollop of sour cream.
- Use an electric mixer to incorporate potato into soup.