- Yields: 6 servings or 3 cups sauce
- Preparation: 40 minutes
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, divided
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) HEWITT'S - skim milk
- 2 tbsp (30mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tub (450g) Nordica Smooth Plain
- 1/2 cup (125mL) SALERNO - Grated 100% Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tsp (5mL) nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 lb (500g) dry pasta
- 1/4 cup (50mL) parsley, fresh and chopped
- Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in a heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Whisk milk with cornstarch, salt and pepper until smooth. Add to pot. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk in Smooth cottage cheese until well combined. Return pot to medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until warm and smooth. Whisk in Parmesan, cook for 4 minutes. Add nutmeg to taste and adjust seasonings (if needed).
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender. Reserve about 1 cup (250 mL) pasta water before draining.
- Toss hot cooked pasta with remaining butter and parsley. Add sauce and toss to coat. Adjust consistency with pasta water to taste. Serve immediately.
- Customize this pasta dish with add-ins such as grilled chicken, cooked shrimp, steamed broccoli or baby spinach.
- This sauce can be used in a cheater lasagna: Blend prepared sauce with 1/4 cup chicken broth or water. Layer sauce with 1 pkg (700 g) fresh spinach ravioli in a 9" (23 cm) square, baking dish. Bake, covered, at 350°F (180°C) for 40 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake for 5 minutes or until melted.
- For a truly low calorie dish, replace wheat noodles with zucchini noodles made with a spiralizer.
- Nutrition Per Serving (1/2 cup/125 mL sauce only): 170 calories, 9 g fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 590 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrates, 0 g fibre, 6 g sugars, 14 g protein.
- Brand Name Refrigerated Alfredo Sauce (1/2 cup/125 mL): 200 calories, 16 g fat, 50 mg cholesterol, 560 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrates, 0 g fibre, 5 g sugars, 6 g protein.