- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation: 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Spreadables Regular
- 3 cups (750mL) butternut squash, 1-inch cubes
- 4 bacon, thick slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (30mL) fresh sage
- 1 cup (250mL) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125mL) white wine
- 1 cup (250mL) SALERNO - Mascarpone
- 12 oz (375g) Penne (or your favourite pasta)
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) Spreadables butter and toss with butternut squash. Spread out on a baking sheet; roast for 20 minutes or until browned and just fork tender. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead.)
- Meanwhile, brown bacon in a large, nonstick skillet set over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate. Drain off all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the oil.
- Add remaining butter to pan. Add onion, garlic, sage, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally until onion is tender. Stir in roasted squash, broth and wine. Simmer, uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes or until liquids are reduced slightly and squash is tender. Stir Mascarpone cheese into skillet along with bacon until sauce is smooth.
- Meanwhile, boil pasta according to package timing in a large pot of salted water. Drain well, reserving up 1/2 cup (125 mL) cooking liquid. Toss pasta with sauce, adding pasta water to moisten as needed. Serve immediately with Parmesan cheese (if using).
- Add an elegant garnish with crispy sage leaves; melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) Gay Lea Spreadables Butter in a small skillet. Add a single layer of whole sage leaves. Cook until edges start to curl and leaves are lightly browned. Pat dry on paper towels. Scatter or crumble over each serving.
- This pasta reheats beautifully in a skillet, just moisten with extra chicken broth and toss until heated through.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment or foil before roasting squash for easier cleanup.