- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation: 70 minutes
- 1/2 cup (125mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 3/4 cup (175mL) bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125mL) SALERNO - Grated 100% Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup (125mL) parsley, finely chopped
- 6 prosciutto slices, thinly sliced, trimmed of fat
- 18 fresh asparagus, trimmed, blanched (see cooking tip)
- 6 chicken breast, skinless, boneless, fillets removed, flattened
Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce
- 1 tbsp (15mL) all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (300mL) HEWITT'S - milk
- 3/4 cup (175mL) IVANHOE - Smoked Gouda, shredded
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Melt butter in microwave. In shallow dish, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan and 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the parsley. Coat both sides of breasts first with flour, then with butter, then with Parmesan breadcrumb mixture. Place one slice prosciutto atop each chicken breast, lay 3 asparagus spears across each breast; roll up tightly. Place seam side down in a single layer in a 9" x 13" (3 L) glass or metal baking pan, leaving space between rolls. Press remaining crumb mixture then drizzle any leftover butter over rolls (see cooking tip). Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked and coating is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk flour into milk. Gradually stir mixture into small saucepan. Over medium heat, simmer, whisking often, for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; add smoked Gouda and pepper. Stir until cheese melts and sauce is smooth. Cut each chicken breast into 3 slices, fan pieces on dinner plate; drizzle with 2 tbsp (30 mL) Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce. Sprinkle with remaining finely chopped parsley.
- To flatten chicken breasts: Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound with rolling pin or mallet to about 4" to 8" (5 to 3 mm) thick.
- To blanch asparagus, drop spears into boiling water for 1 minute; remove and quickly plunge into ice water or cold running water. Pat dry.
- Make ahead: Coat, stuff and roll chicken up to 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Increase baking time by 5 minutes. Reheat Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce in microwave on medium for 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir occasionally.