- Yields: 12 servings
- Preparation: 122 minutes
- 1 tbsp (15mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp (30mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) pepper
- 1 lb (500g) lean ground beef
- 2 mild sausage, casings removed
- 3/4 cup (175mL) red wine, or water
- 28 oz (796mL) canned crushed tomatoes, or puréed
- 1 cup (250mL) SALERNO - Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 cup (125mL) parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125mL) basil, chopped
- 3 cups (750mL) Nordica 2%
- 2 cups (500mL) IVANHOE - Mozzarella, shredded
- 12 oz (375g) fresh lasagna noodles, (about 8)
- Melt butter in a 5 quart (5 L) pot or Dutch oven set on medium. Add onion, garlic, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper. Crumble in beef and sausage; cook for 10 minutes or until browned. Add wine; simmer for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes; bring to boil. Simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in ¾ cup (175 mL) of Parmesan.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Blend cottage cheese with ½ cup (125 mL) Mozzarella, parsley and basil; reserve. Grease a 9” x 13” (3 L) casserole dish.
- Spread 1 cup (250 mL) of sauce evenly over bottom of dish. Cover with an even layer of noodles, trimming to fit. Spread 1 cup (250 mL) sauce followed by 1 cup (250 mL) cottage cheese mixture evenly over noodles. Repeat noodle, sauce and cottage cheese layers twice. Layer with remaining noodles, sauce and an even sprinkling of remaining Parmesan and Mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until noodles are tender and cheese is melted. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Lasagna is the perfect pasta to please a hungry crowd. Layers of baked, bubbling and browned noodles separated by rich sauce, creamy cheese and meat or vegetables will please any palate. It can be prepared in advance in batches, put in the freezer and then save the day when you are time-pressed or have unexpected guests.