- Yields: 6 servings
- Preparation: 311 minutes
- 1 large bunch of fresh mint leaves
- 2 tbsp (30mL) canola oil
- 1 tbsp (15mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp (10mL) ground cumin
- 1 1/2 lb (750g) flank steak
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) pepper
- 1 1/2 lb (750g) sweet potatoes, about 3 medium-large
- 1 tbsp (15mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Regular Sour Cream
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15mL) lime zest, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Finely chop enough mint leaves to measure 3 tbsp (45 mL); set aside. Roughly chop remaining leaves. Place mint leaves, oil, lime juice, cumin and Worcestershire sauce in a re-sealable plastic bag; add steak and seal the bag. Place in refrigerator and marinate, turning the bag occasionally, for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight).
- Preheat the grill to high. Remove steak from marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Season with 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and pepper. Grill steak for 11 to 14 minutes, flipping once halfway through, or until medium-rare (145°F/63°C on an instant read thermometer). Remove from the grill and rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly.
- Meanwhile, pierce sweet potatoes several times. Microwave on high, turning occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until fork-tender. Carefully peel off and discard skin. Fork mash with butter until smooth.
- Stir sour cream with reserved chopped mint, jalapeno, lime zest and garlic; stir 1/2 cup (125 mL) into mashed sweet potatoes along with remaining salt and pepper. Serve sliced steak over sweet potatoes and garnish with remaining sour cream sauce.
- For smaller households, "make once-eat twice" this recipe by serving leftover sliced steak and sauce on hoagie rolls topped with shredded lettuce, diced tomato and thinly sliced red onion.
- The steak can be grilled using an indoor grill or grill pan instead of the barbecue.
- For a spicier steak, add hot sauce to the marinade to taste.
- Use Gay Lea Low Fat or Fat Free sour cream instead of Regular sour cream.