- Yields: 12 meatballs
- Preparation: 70 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) Nordica 2%
- 1/2 cup (125mL) bread crumbs, plain
- 1/4 cup (50mL) SALERNO - Grated 100% Parmesan Cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) pepper
- 1 lb (500g) extra lean ground beef
- 1 mild Italian pork sausage, casing removed
- 3 cups (750mL) passata or puréed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125mL) onion
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup (125mL) fresh basil leaves, chopped
InstructionsThe quest to make a healthier meatball has been a challenge. Often using leaner ground meats leads to tough and dry meatballs. Cottage cheese is the ‘secret’ ingredient that keeps these better-for-you meatballs moist and delicious. Share the fun and host a weekend meatball party. Invite your friends over to make big batches of these tasty, oven-baked meatballs to fill everyone’s freezer with a quick weeknight meal solution.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine cottage cheese, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, 1/3 of minced garlic, eggs and half each of salt and pepper well. Crumble in ground beef and sausage meat; mix well.
- Shape into 12 equal-sized meatballs; arrange, in a single layer, in a 9” x 13” (3 L) baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Meanwhile, mix passata or puréed tomatoes, grated onion, hot pepper flakes, remaining garlic, salt and pepper. Pour mixture evenly over meatballs and cook for 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened; gently add basil. Garnish with additional Parmesan to taste.
- Serve meatballs over hot cooked pasta or rice.
- Spoon meatballs into submarine buns and top with shredded Ivanhoe Mozzarella cheese for a meatball sandwich.
- Make ahead: After baking the meatballs for 15 minutes, cool slightly. Poor uncooked sauce over top. Reserve in the refrigerator for 1 day or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and thickened.