- Yields: 4
- Preparation: 45 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) BLACK RIVER - Cheese Chipotle Cheese Log
- 2 tbsp (30mL) oil
- 1 onion, small and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp (10mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5mL) cumin, ground
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) pepper
- 2 1/2 cups (625mL) long-grain white rice, parboiled
- 1 cup (250mL) chicken broth, sodium-reduced
- 1 cup (250mL) tomatoes, puréed
- 2 tbsp (30mL) parsley, fresh and chopped
- lemon wedge
- Heat oil in large, nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat; cook onion and red pepper for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, paprika, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add rice; cook, stirring, for about 1 minute or until coated. Pour in broth and puréed tomatoes; bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer; cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender and all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Sprinkle cheese over top; fluff rice with fork. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
- Serve this flavourful rice with tacos, in a burrito, topped with grilled shrimp or as the base of a rice bowl.