- Yields: 4½ dozen cookies
- Preparation: 125 minutes
- 2 cups (500mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup (250mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 3 cups (750mL) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250mL) cornstarch or rice flour
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 1 package hard candies, 150g, different colours
- Using electric mixer, beat butter until very creamy. Gradually beat in sugar, beating until very light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch and salt. In four additions, using a wooden spoon, stir flour mixture into butter mixture, stirring well between each addition. Transfer dough to floured surface; knead gently for 3 minutes until shortbread holds together well. Divide into three balls. Wrap each ball with plastic wrap; flatten into discs and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove plastic wrap from one piece of dough. Flour work surface well and knead dough lightly for 30 seconds. Re-flour surface and top of dough. Roll out dough until ¼" (5mm) thick, constantly rotating to make sure it's not sticking to the surface and lightly dusting the top of the dough with flour. Cut out shapes, using cookie cutter.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Transfer to parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Chill for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Repeat with remaining chilled dough. Re-roll leftover pieces only once, dusting with flour as necessary. Prick each cookie twice with fork tines. Bake in centre of oven for about 15 minutes or until dough is firm and underside is lightly golden. Cook on pan on racks. Transfer to racks to cool completely.