- Yields: 20 bars
- Preparation: 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) sea salt
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125mL) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (175mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine butter with brown sugar and whipping cream in a saucepan set over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved and mixture comes to a simmer. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and salt. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, beat butter with sugar, vanilla and salt until fluffy. Add flour; beat until well combined (may be crumbly).
- Press remaining dough into prepared baking pan. Drizzle with warm caramel and spread evenly. Crumble remaining dough over top, leaving gaps. Bake for 30 minutes, or until topping is golden. Cool to room temperature before cutting into bars.
- Trim edges before slicing into bars (if desired).
- Store bars, layered between parchment paper in an airtight container, for up to 3 days or freeze for 1 month.