- Yields: 10 servings
- Preparation: 45 minutes
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- 1 3/4 cups (425mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, very soft
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) HEWITT'S - milk
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Butter two 9” (23 cm) round baking pans. Line bottom of each pan with parchment or waxed paper. Butter paper.
- In large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar. Blend well. Add butter, milk and vanilla; beat well. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 2 minutes. Divide batter between pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until tops spring to touch and cakes begin to pull away from the sides of the pans. Cool on rack. Decorate as desired.
Beat butter and 2 cups sugar with mixer on medium speed until combined. Reduce speed to medium low, and continue to beat, gradually adding remaining 4 cups sugar, 1 cup at a time. Raise speed to medium high; add vanilla and cream. Beat until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes more. Makes 4 cups (enough to frost one dozen cupcakes).