- Yields: Makes 20 cookies
- Preparation: 132 minutes
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30mL) lemon zest, finely grated (about 2 lemons)
- 1/2 cups (125mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, chilled (cut into 1/8" or 3 mm pieces)
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125mL) icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened*
- 3 tbsp (45mL) lime zest, finely grated (about 4 limes)
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 20 almonds, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a medium, metal bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar for 2 minutes or until light and smooth. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest; whisk until well combined.
- Place the bowl over a saucepan with a small amount of gently simmering water; do not allow the bowl to sit in the water. Cook the egg mixture, stirring constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Slowly whisk in the butter, one piece at a time. Transfer mixture to a glass or ceramic bowl. Cover the surface of the lemon curd directly with plastic wrap to avoid a skin from forming; cool completely. Chill until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. In another bowl, mix the flour with the sugar and salt until well combined. Add the butter, lime zest and vanilla; stir until just combined. Chill for 1 hour.
- Roll dough out, on a lightly floured surface, to be 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick. Cut dough with a 1-1/2 inch (4 cm) round cookie cutter. Cut a small hole out of the centre of half of the cookies. Re-roll scraps and cut additional cookies until all the dough is used. Place cookies on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake cookies, in batches, for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned around the edges. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Spread a small amount of the reserved lemon curd over the bottom of the solid cookies. Garnish the centre of each cookie with a toasted almond.