- Yields: 64 mini shortbreads
- Preparation: 45 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125mL) icing sugar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (425mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30mL) sugar, holiday themed or coloured
- Preheat oven to 325°C (160°C). Line an 8-inch (3 L) baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whip butter with sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour and salt; beat just until well combined. Mix in sprinkles until uniformly dispersed. Press dough into prepared pan in a thin, even layer.
- Bake, in lower third of the oven, for 35 minutes or until pale golden and lightly browned around edges. Remove from oven and immediately use a paring knife to score shortbread, eight times each across and down pan into approximately 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes.
- Cool completely then score again to separate into cubes. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Transfer the shortbread's to cello or paper bags to use as a hostess gift.
- Customize this recipe for all seasons by using pastel sprinkles for Easter or Halloween inspired sprinkles for the fall.