- Yields: 3 dozen cookies
- Preparation: 90 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (50mL) icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups (625mL) all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- With electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in granulated and icing sugars and then beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; with wooden spoon, gradually stir into butter mixture. Transfer dough to work surface; knead lightly until comes into a ball.
- Divide dough in half; shape each into disc. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 1 hour or for up to 2 days. One disc at a time, roll out dough on lightly floured surface to ¼" (5 mm) thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes. Place shapes on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake in centre of preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden on bottom and edges. Let cool for 3 minutes on baking sheets; transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Whisk together 3 cups (750 mL) icing sugar with ¼ cup (50 mL)water for regular piped icing, adding up to 2 tablespoons (25 mL) more water to create paint for background colours. Tint as desired.