- Yields: makes 16 squares
- Preparation: 65 minutes
- 2 cups (500mL) packed pitted dates
- 2 tbsp (30mL) light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp (15mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250mL) rolled oats, (preferably not instant)
- 1 cup (250mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp (15mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250mL) all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) cinnamon, optional
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- In heavy bottomed saucepan, combine dates, sugar and 1 cup (250 mL) water. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring and mashing dates slightly, for 20 minutes or until thick and jam-like. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line with parchment paper or lightly grease 8”(2 L) or 9” (2.5 L) square baking pan. In large bowl combine oats, flour, sugar, soda, cinnamon (if using) and salt. Add butter, crumbling with fingertips until crumbly and well blended. Pat half of mixture into bottom of prepared pan. Spread date filling evenly over. Sprinkle remaining oat mixture evenly over top.
- Bake in centre of oven for about 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into squares.
- Replace water with orange juice and 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated orange rind.
Date Squares Variation
- Blueberry Squares: Omit date filling. In saucepan, combine 3 cups (750 mL) fresh or frozen blueberries, ½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar and ¼ cup (50 mL) fresh orange juice to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until tender. Whisk together 4 tsp (20 mL) cornstarch and 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh orange juice; whisk into blueberry mixture. Bring mixture to boil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until thickened. Cool completely; proceed with recipe above.