- Yields: 16 trees
- Preparation: 60 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Spreadables Regular
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract, optional
- 1 tsp (5mL) instant coffee granules, optional
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250mL) icing sugar
- 1 cup (250mL) cocoa powder
- 1/4 tbsp (1mL) salt
- 4 oz (125g) dark chocolate chips, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Butter and line two 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pans with a circle of parchment paper. .
- Beat butter with vanilla and instant coffee (if using) until fluffy. Meanwhile, sift flour with icing sugar, cocoa powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until set. Remove from oven; wearing oven mitts and working one pan at a time, place a plate over cake pan and carefully invert. Gently slide each round onto a cutting board and cut into 8 wedges (while still hot). Use a thin spatula to carefully transfer wedges to a rack sitting over a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool.
- Melt chocolate in a heat-proof bowl set over simmering water. Cool slightly then transfer to a zip top bag. Cut a small piece off the tip; drizzle melted chocolate evenly back and forth over the wedges (to resemble light strings). Garnish with sprinkles or coloured sugar. Let stand in a cool dry place until set.
- Use white chocolate or green tinted candy melts (available at the bulk food store) instead of the dark chocolate for a different effect.
- Once set, store between layers of parchment paper in an airtight container in a cool dry place.