- Yields: 12
- Preparation: 80 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) cornstarch
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) cream of tartar
- 1 tsp (5mL) white vinegar
- 1 GAY LEA - Regular Whipped Cream
- chocolate and caramel sauces, optional
- chopped chocolate bars or grated chocolate, optional
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Blend sugar with cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside. Beat egg whites with cream of tarter on low speed until soft peaks form. Increase speed to medium. Gradually beat in sugar mixture, one spoonful at a time until glossy stiff peaks form. Beat in vinegar.
- Divide meringue, forming 12 mounds at least 2-inches (5 cm) apart, onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. Use the back of a spoon to smooth outer edges and create a small hollow in centre of each mound.
- Bake for 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave door ajar; cool meringues, in oven, for at least 2 hours. (Meringues can be made and reserved in an airtight container for up to 4 days.)
- Just before serving, pipe whipped cream into hollows of meringues. Drizzle with chocolate and caramel sauces. Garnish with chocolate bars (if using).
- To help divide meringue evenly, draw 3-inch (7.5 cm) circles on the underside of the parchment paper. Or, use a large ice cream scoop to create the 12 mounds.
- For salted caramel fans, garnish with flaked sea salt.
- To make a dairy-free dessert, use GAY LEA - Real Coconut Whipped Cream and top with toasted coconut.