- Yields: 40
- Preparation: 45 minutes (+ 30 minutes cooling time)
- ¾ cup (175mL) GAY LEA - Bakers Gold, at room temperature
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 4 tsp (20mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2mL) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- 2/3 cup (150mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75mL) brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp (15mL) 2% milk
- 2 tsp (10mL) vanilla extract
Crème Brûlée Frosting:
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Bakers Gold, at room temperature
- 8 oz (250g) plain brick-style cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (375mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (75mL) granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Sugar Cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg; beat in milk and vanilla. Mix in flour mixture just until combined. Roll tablespoonfuls of dough into 1-inch (2.5 cm) balls. Place on parchment paper–lined baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Press lightly to flatten each cookie slightly.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, in centre of oven for 8 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly golden and tops are firm. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes; transfer directly to rack. Let cool completely.
- Crème Brûlée Frosting: Beat cream cheese until smooth; beat in butter until blended. On low speed, beat in icing sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth. Refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes or until chilled.
- Place granulated sugar in small bowl. Spread 1 tbsp (15 mL) frosting over top of each cookie; dip tops of cookies in sugar to coat well.
- To caramelize sugar, place cookies on foil-lined baking sheet. Hold kitchen blowtorch so that flame is about 2 inches (5 cm) above surface of cookie. Working quickly, direct flame so that the sugar melts and caramelizes evenly (keep kitchen torch moving so sugar doesn’t burn). Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. (Cookies can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.)
- Alternatively, sandwich 2 cookies with the frosting and roll sides in holiday sprinkles.