- Yields: 24 cookies
- Preparation: 40 minutes (+2 hours chilling time)
- Using electric beaters, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; using wooden spoon, stir gradually into butter mixture.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; shape into 7-inch (18 cm) log. Sprinkle 1/3 cup (75 mL) coconut on baking sheet in thin layer. Brush log lightly all over with egg white; roll in coconut until fully coated. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for about 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Cut log into 24 slices, about 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick. Place on 2 parchment paper–lined baking sheets, about 2 inches (5 cm) apart.
- Bake, in batches, in centre of oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool in pans on racks for 5 minutes. Transfer directly to racks; let cool completely.
- Before serving, top each cookie with whipped cream and remaining coconut.
- Stir chopped macadamia nuts into cookie dough for some added crunch.