- Yields: Makes about 5 dozen cookies
- Preparation: 192 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups (625mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 cups (500mL) instant dissolving sugar
- 5 1/4 cups (1.3L) all purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup (250mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5mL) salt
- 5 tsp (25mL) peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup (125mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp (10mL) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (75mL) egg whites, well shaken (approx.)
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. In a separate bowl stir 5 cups (1.25 L) of the flour with the cornstarch and salt; beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture on low speed just until combined. Divide dough into two equal portions.
- Return one portion of dough to the mixer; beat in the remaining flour and peppermint extract until well combined. Knead gently and flatten into a rectangle. Wipe out the mixing bowl; beat the remaining portion of dough with the cocoa powder and vanilla extract until well combined. Knead gently and flatten into a rectangle. Chill both rectangles for at least 1 hour.
- Between sheets of wax paper, roll each portion of dough into a large rectangle (about 11 x 22 inch/28 x 55 cm). Brush one side of the chocolate dough lightly with egg white; stack the peppermint dough directly on top of the chocolate dough. Trim the edges and cut into two, 10 inch (25 cm) squares; then, cut each square into 4 equal strips. Brush the strips lightly with more egg white and stack, two sets of 4 strips, alternating the white and dark layers to make two rectangular logs. Chill for at least 2 hours or until firm enough to slice easily.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and position the racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Slice the logs into ¼ inch (5 mm) thick rounds; place the rounds, 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart, on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake in batches and rotate the sheets halfway through baking for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are pale golden. Cool completely on a rack.
- Substitute another chocolate-friendly extract such as butterscotch, coconut or almond for the peppermint.
- Store the baked cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Make-ahead: The cookie dough can be prepared and stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before baking.