- 2 1/2 cups (625mL) HEWITT'S - milk
- 2/3 cups (150mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75mL) cornstarch
- 2 egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tbsp (30mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter
- 1 tbsp (15mL) vanilla extract
- 3 banana, thinly sliced
- 1 (225g) GAY LEA - Coconut Whipped Topping
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup (175mL) GAY LEA - Salted Butter, cold and cubed
- 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (50mL) flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup (75mL) granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup (75mL) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (375mL) all purpose flour
- Pulse flour with cocoa, sugar, coconut and salt in a food processor. Pulse in butter until finely crumbed. Whisk egg yolk with 2 tbsp (30 mL) ice water; pulse into flour mixture until it clumps together.
- Press dough evenly into the bottom and 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) up the sides of a 10-inch (25 cm) springform pan. Prick with a fork. Freeze for 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake, on a lower rack, for 15 minutes or until set. Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk milk with sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring often, until thickened. Whisk some of the hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Whisk back into remaining milk. Cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Line cooled shell with bananas. Pour hot filling over top to cover bananas completely. Cool to room temperature; chill for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Just before serving, remove ring and arrange on serving platter. Pipe coconut whipped cream to cover custard completely and garnish with toasted coconut.
- To make individual pies
- Divide dough between eight, 5-inch (12-cm) mini pie plates or foil pot-pie pans; pressing evenly into bottom and up sides.
- Arrange on a baking sheet; bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Divide bananas and custard between the cooled shells.
- Chill until set.
- Garnish with whipped cream and toasted coconut.