- Yields: Makes 72 shortbread
- Preparation: 160 minutes
- 1 cup (250mL) GAY LEA - Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup (75mL) icing sugar, sifted
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (4mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1mL) salt
- 1/3 cup (75mL) walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (50mL) ginger, minced and crystallized
- Using electric beaters, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, ground ginger and salt. Using wooden spoon, gradually stir flour mixture into butter mixture. Stir in walnuts and crystallized ginger.
- Transfer mixture to lightly floured work surface. Shape dough into two 10-inch (25 cm) logs. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, for 2 or up to 24 hours (logs can be frozen for up to 2 months; thaw in refrigerator before baking).
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Slice logs into ¼-inch (5mm) thick slices. Place 2-inches (5cm) apart on parchment paper-lined cookie sheets. Bake in centre of oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely.