- Yields: 6-8 servings
- Preparation: 1 hour
- 2 blocks (500g) GAY LEA - Bakers Gold
- 1 ½ cups (375mL) dark brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 2/3 cups (630mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) salt
- 1 ¼ cup (310mL) milk, divided
- 1 tsp (5mL) vanilla extract
- 3 vanilla beans, split in half lengthwise
- 3 cups (710mL) icing sugar
- pinch flaked sea salt, for garnish
- 1 dulce de leche, store bought
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 3, 6-inch round cake pans with removable bottoms. Line each pan with a piece of circle parchment paper on the bottom. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, gently cook butter until light and golden in colour, roughly 12 minutes. Strain butter through a fine mesh sieve into a 2-cup glass or heat proof measuring cup. Allow butter to cool slightly.
- In a small sauce pot on medium heat, simmer milk, vanilla extract and split vanilla beans for 5 minutes. Pour milk with pods into a glass measuring cup and set aside. This will allow the milk and vanilla to continue infuse.
- In a medium bowl whisk flour, baking soda and salt together.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat eggs and sugar for 5 minutes on medium speed until creamy. Gradually add in flour. Stir in 1 cup of vanilla milk into the batter. Slowly pour in 1 cup of the browned butter, stirring on slow until the butter is fully combined.
- Divide batter between prepared baking pans and place in the oven on the centre rack. Bake for 25 minutes then rotate cakes. Continue to bake for another 15 minutes until cakes are a deep golden-brown colour. When a toothpick comes out clean when tested in the centre of each cake, remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes. Remove cakes from each cake pan and peel off parchment paper. Transfer cakes to a cooling rack to fully cool.
- Using the stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat icing sugar, 1 cup of brown butter and ¼ cup of vanilla milk until creamy.
- Trim cake tops to make an even flat surface. Place the first cake cut side up onto a serving platter or cake stand. Spread ¼ cup of icing onto the top of the first layer. Top with second cake and spread with ¼ cup icing. Top with third cake bottom side up. Begin evenly spreading the remaining icing along to top and sides of the cake.
- If the dulce de leche is quite thick, warm it slightly so it easily spreads and easily drips down the sides. Spread ½ cup of dulce de leche evenly over the top, allowing some to drip down the sides of the cake. Feel free to use more if desired. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt before serving.